POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones : Re: Microphones Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microphones
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jun 2008 06:49:26
Message: <4850ff36$1@news.povray.org>
>> Actually I'm pretty sure my PC microphone is a crystal mic...

> UH? do they still sell that? Usually they are electrets

Sure - why not? They sell crystal ear pieces too - very useful with
home-made crystal radio sets. And let's not forget, picture speakers use
crystals too...

>> [The microphone that works is marked as "dynamic", whatever that means.]
>
> It means a moving coil microphone, no need for power

Right. So a reverse speaker then?

>> I had a go with my dad's test meter. At 0 Hz, the working mic has a
>> resistence of about 600 ?, whereas the non-working one is about 1.2 k?. I
>> don't know whether that has anything to do with anything. [I don't have
>> the specifications for my outboard sound card to hand...]

> For the dynamic microphone you measure the DC resistance of the coil.

Right. So the working mic has a DC resistence of 600 Ω.

> Electret microphone are buffered by a FET and insulated from DC by a
> capacitor.
> You can't measure a useable impedence at 0 Hz :-)

OK. So assuming it really is electret, I can't measure its impedence
meaningfully.

I'm 70% sure this is the guy BTW:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=24698&doy=12m6#spec

--